The History of the USA
- 19th September 2013
A quick overview on the USA from when it was founded in 1776.
- The USA was founded in 1776, after the American War of Independence
- The Declaration of Independence said …
- ”All men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
- During the nineteenth century, settlers moved into the ‘Wild West’ and railroads and towns spread from the Atlantic to the Pacific.
- Most of the USA’s Native Peoples (Indians) were wiped out or forced to resettle during this period.
- The economy of the southern states was based on Slavery
- Between 1861-5, the American Civil War was fought over the issue of Slavery
- The north defeated the south, and slavery was ended
- Black Americans were still treated very unfairly
- The USA prospered in the early twentieth century and became the World’s largest economy
- In the early C20, America had an ‘open door’ policy and welcomed 40 million immigrants, mostly from Europe
- America was fast emerging as a Great Power, alongside countries like Britain